There always seems to be a theme this time of year in the travel blog community. Everyone posts a round-up of their favorite (and sometimes even least favorite) travel experiences of the year. Even though our blog isn’t quite up and running yet, I didn’t want to miss out on all the fun! Here are my 13 very favorite travel moments from this year — and what a great year it was!
1. Bundling up to watch a Maui sunrise on Mt. Haleakala, 10,000 feet above sea level on our first anniversary, then seeing the sun set over the ocean that same night during a beautiful dinner Kyle had planned. (Oh, and then stargazing on top of our hotel, the Hyatt Regency Maui. I guess that’s three favorite moments, but who’s counting!?)
2. Driving along Pacific Coastal Highway 1 in northern California, and seeing the dramatic coastline appear almost too near the car!
3. Splashing in the waves of beautiful St. Lucia during our Trash the Dress photo shoot
4. Kissing my new dolphin friend Maui at Sea Life Park, then cruising around Oahu convertible-style.
5. Spending the day leisurely twisting and turning our way to Hana in Maui. It’s true what they say: the journey really is the destination.
6. Riding a horse bareback through the surf in St. Lucia.
7. Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge no fewer than eight times in a single day, and then having to walk five miles to Sausalito because of the government shutdown. (Long story!)
8. Riding my first roller coaster at Hershey Park, Pa.
9. Witnessing Kauai’s beautiful Napali Coast three different ways in the same day: via helicopter, a scenic drive, and a catamaran cruise.
10. Tasting our way through Napa Valley, and learning how much everyone loves and respects the Finger Lakes – and feeling like a true wine connoisseur.
11. Finally making it to the Top of the Rock in NYC and taking the NBC Studio Tour to see the sets of the TODAY Show! (And on a separate trip, actually visiting the TODAY Show and seeing John Stamos!)
12. Visiting “Obama’s House” with my adorable nephew Henry who had a mini-meltdown when he realized Obama would not be coming out to play with him.
13. Hula Pie. Enough said.
And, of course, I have to give a couple honorable mentions:
And this happened…
May 2014 bring many more incredible travel moments!