“The best things in life are the people you love, the places you’ve seen, and the memories you’ve made along the way.”
Today is Kyle’s 26th birthday, and it seems there’s no better time to reflect on what it means to me to be able to travel through life with my best friend by my side.
I met Kyle the very first day of high school. We played one of those ridiculous ice breaker games in English class where we had to go around the room and say something about ourselves, then see if we could remember what everyone before us had said. I was the “quiet girl,” and Kyle was the “kid from Hawaii.”
After years of friendship, we started dating the first day of college. Something just clicked—it was like coming home. Our friends and families had seen it coming, but it was such a wonderful surprise to us. And we’ve been on a wonderful journey together ever since.
Here are 26 lessons I’ve learned along the way:
- It’s important to dream, and to share those hopes and dreams with each other. Take time to gaze at the sky and let your mind fill with possibilities.
- Embrace spontaneity and appreciate how colorful life can be.
- Leave pieces of your heart all over the world.
- Notice the little things that make life beautiful.
- Don’t let doors come between you. Love unconditionally. And let the journey unfold before you.
- Add some sparkle to the world.
- Fall in love with the raw beauty of nature.
- Any picture can turn out amazingly well as long as you have dramatic scenery behind you.
- Embrace the waves—play in them with all your clothes on!
- Dare to be adventurous.
- Sometimes you need to feel small to stand tall together.
- Visit places that move you.
- Push each other to soar to new heights.
- Set your eye on a target, aim for your dreams, and pull the trigger. (Or fire away… whatever the case may be!)
- Be ready to discover a whole new world together.
- Never let a photo op pass you by.
- Embrace the long plane rides, the waiting in lines, and the downtime you have together. Savor the silliness!
- Take a moment to sit and ponder.
- Relax! (It’s a hard one for me).
- Take in the beauty of the ocean. Wave at the people looking back at you!
- For the love of all that is good any holy in this world, remember to eat. Every situation is better with food in your stomach.
- Especially if it’s cake. Lots of cake. Savor the sweet things.
- Love is like a fine wine. It gets better with age.
- Know when to stop taking pictures.
- As with any journey, who you travel with can be more important than your destination.
- Moments are precious. Don’t take them for granted.
Take a moment to appreciate your travel partner today as I wish mine a very happy birthday!
“I want to travel the world with two things in my hands: A camera in one, and your hand in my other.”